Tuesday, April 30, 2013

My Brain On Pot (Limit)

So I'm closing in on the finish line.  The last three weeks has been a whirlwind for me.  So much information to process, so many things to learn.  I don't remember dispatch school being this challenging!  One of the things that really had me concerned was learning how to deal a pot limit game.  For those that don't know, pot limit means that a player can bet a maximum of what is already in the pot.  This sounds relatively easy on the surface, but consider that while I'm trying to calculate what a pot bet would be, I have to remember what was already in the pot, action before it, and oh yeah, I still have to actually be a dealer!  When the time finally came, I found that I was better at it then I thought I would be.  Even more surprising, everyone seemed to be having issues, including the instructors.  It's not easy!  :)

Next week will be auditions.  I'm nervous, but I feel pretty confident, and I suppose that's the most important thing.  Everyone will make mistakes, it's how you handle recovering from them that separates you from others.

As I've been going on with the poker, I have also been learning to deal blackjack.  Progress with that has been slower as my priority has been learning poker, but that is also coming close to audition time.  Once I'm done with that, I'll move on to learning craps, which I'm sure is going to take more time.  Progress with that might slow dramatically once the World Series starts depending on how many hours I get working there, but it is important that I get that finished and polished by the time I'm looking for a job, as I already have what amounts to an invitation to audition when I'm done with my commitment to the WSOP.

More to come soon!  Sorry this one was a little scattershot.  Lots of things distracting me around here, so I have to keep starting and stopping!

1 comment: