Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Dry Heat!

So my promise of updating this blog every day with something or another has apparently already fallen flat on its face.  The last week has been, in a word, chaos.  Winter had one last laugh at us when we left last week the day after a significant snow storm crushed central Illinois, and so there were portions of the trip on the first day that were downright scary.  After that, it was smooth sailing.  Long, but smooth.  I do have to state at this point, this country is friggin awesome.  The last day especially coming up through the mountains is some scenery the likes of which you must behold to believe.  Just stunning, and I know I'm going to find plenty of things to explore out here.

Anyway, we certainly hit the ground running.  Residence has been established.  In less then 2 days of work, Melissa is already getting interviews.  There have been a few bumps in the road, the most significant of which was that the money that was to be delivered to us from the bank for relocation has yet to show up.  This sucks on its own, but we were told that the check was being overnighted and was supposed to show up the day we were leaving.  No worries, since we wouldn't need that cash for a week anyway as it's the money we'd use to move our PODS with our stuff in it over to the new residence.  Trouble is, we arrived, the check still hadn't.  The contact at the bank suddenly stopped answering his phone, and my blood pressure started climbing.  Finally I get in touch with someone there who actually answered the phone and come to find out the bank is still waiting for confirmation the deed is recorded with McHenry county, which is amusing considering the house is LISTED FOR SALE already.  Guess the joke is on whoever tries to buy the house, since according the public record I still own it.

Mind = blown

Anyway, this had the unpleasant effect of preventing us from getting our belongings moving to the new digs.  Thankfully, family stepped in to help out and our items are on their way... Sort of.  See, when we arranged all of this one of the questions we asked was how long from the word "go" would our stuff be in our driveway in Las Vegas.  The answer we got was "2 or 3 days".  Well, not so much.  Actually it'll take them 7 days to get the box to Las Vegas, and FROM THERE 2 or 3 days for it to end up in my driveway.  Certainly information I could have used when we bought the damn service!  So yes, our stuff is on the move and that's a God send, but we're still living in a house with nothing in it for a touch over a week.  I've given up being upset about this.  Instead I went to Walmart and bought 4 air mattresses.  Fun with roughing it inside.  Hopefully our guest will understand.  Certainly our kid couldn't care less.

So the work continues out here in paradise.  I went to my first day of school today.  Found out that being a lefty sucks when dealing blackjack.  Everything is geared to righties.  Maybe it's better off.  Now I HAVE to learn everything from scratch.  Glad to finally be doing something productive.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with everything PJ! You may inspire me to start writing again on my own, long neglected blog. And as always, if I hear of anything interesting I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chuck! I am looking at the litany of dead blogs I have on blogger. I'll do my best not to let this one die. I have found that these types of blogs really helped me to understand what I was getting myself into, so hopefully this will also serve as a way to "pay it forward", but it's also a great way to keep the family and friends in the loop.

    ReplyDelete